security lightning goes here
With burglaries on the rise all across the country, many people wonder how they can protect their homes and families from crime. The first step to take is to deter criminals from targeting your home. Most burglars scope out the neighborhood ahead of time and choose a house that looks like a good target. The outside of your home gives the first clue as to how well protected it is from crime. Outdoor security lighting can help prevent crime. There are some important benefits of choosing home security lights.
- Deters Burglars – Keeping your outdoor areas well lit will deter burglars from approaching your property. Nighttime crimes are most often committed in areas that are dark to avoid detection. Home security lights include motion sensor lights and other outdoor security lighting.
- Keeps Vandals Away – Lighting will reduce the risk of vandalism to your property and vehicles when you place it strategically around your home and garage areas. Vandals can cause property damage to your home and car but can be successfully deterred by using outdoor security lighting.
- Increases Security – Home security lights let you see who is at your door before you answer it. When the lights go on, you can easily see people as they approach your home. Use security lighting, along with other types of home security measures such as an alarm system, to get the highest level of security. Add home security lights to indoor areas that need protection as well.
- Lowers Home Insurance Costs – Adding home security features such as outdoor security lighting may reduce your homeowner’s insurance costs. A well protected home is less likely to be burglarized and insurance companies will reward you for good home security by giving discounts to those who use home security measures.
- Reduces Accidents – Placing home security lights in dark areas will help prevent you and your guests from accidents. They are particularly helpful for navigating stairs and walkways. Use well placed outdoor security lighting in both the front and back yard areas to prevent accidents. If you have an outdoor pool, it is essential to use lighting in this area.
- Adds Curb Appeal – Home security lighting instantly makes your home look better and well kept. Your home will be the nicest one on the block when you have outdoor security lighting. There are many styles of light to choose from so pick lights that blend nicely with your outdoor home décor. Check your lights frequently to ensure they are working properly and are facing the right direction.
Did you know that a burglary occurs, on average, every 16 seconds in the United States? This startling fact may make you reconsider the security measures that you take around your home, including having home security lighting installed. The outside of your home may actually be encouraging criminals to break in. Experts recommend that you do a security check of the outside of your home by doing a walk-around.
After dark, go outside your home and start at the street or sidewalk. Look at your home objectively as though through new eyes. People get used to looking at their homes and may fail to correct obvious problems that others will see easily. The main thing to review is the lighting around your home. If your home is dark, this will attract burglars. Burglars don’t want to be seen, so they will surely choose a home that is dark over one that has lights. Use home security lighting to provide lights on the outside of your home.
Home security lighting that uses motion sensors is usually considered the best type of outdoor lighting to deter crime. A motion security light turns on when someone is within the range of the light. You can strategically place several motion security lights around the home to provide the home security lighting that you need in all areas. For example, you’ll want to install a motion security light near your front entrance, and you also should install one near your garage door.
You may want to install home security lighting at various other points around your home as well. From your walkthrough, determine the areas that look the darkest and may be located near windows or other possible entry points of your home. In the front of your home, install low-level landscape lights to surround your home and provide some light. These are helpful when used in conjunction with motion security lights.
Experts point out that home security lighting is helpful in deterring criminal activity. But you also need to take other security precautions as well. Always keep your home and front yard well maintained. Don’t let newspapers or mail accumulate, since this is the mark of an empty home. Likewise, if you’re going on vacation always stop mail and newspaper delivery, or find someone to pick them up for you. Don’t let ladders or buckets sit outside under windows of your home. If your home has basement windows, make sure they are securely locked from inside or install bars to prevent entry.
In addition to using home security lighting outside, you’ll also want to make sure your home is well lit on the inside. Use a timer to turn on lights in various rooms of the home, particularly if you get home late from work or if you’re on vacation. Burglars may watch your home before they try to get in, so try to vary your routine. If your lights are on a timer, vary the times that they go on and off. You can even put your television or radio on a timer to make it look as though someone is home even if they aren’t.
Finally, keep doors locked even when you are at home. If you have a home alarm system, make sure to use it. Install security cameras if you’d like to see who is at your door. If you are aware of any suspicious activity, call the local police who can drive by to check on the neighborhood. These ideas will all help to prevent your home from just another statistic.…